Monday 20 January 2014

What I did over the new year holidays (2)

I'm a bit slow keeping the blog up to date but due to family problems things have gone a bit haywire lately.
Hopefully things are now sorted and I can get back to normal service.
Anyway I digress, here's the second instalment of "What I did over the festive season"

The second project on my bench was this Narrow gauge gunpowder van.

Built from Plasticard  and Evergreen sections the van runs on an old Horby 00 gauge chassis with some decent metal wheels fitted.
The rivets (count them if you like!) were embossed using the pointed end of an old needle file.







Here's a couple of shots of the completed van painted and lettered.

I couldn't get any transfers for it so I used "Lettraset" rub down lettering for the G P V.

The skull and crossbones signs were found by doing a Google search on the internet and printing out before fixing with a dab of PVA glue.

Just needs a light weathering now to finish the job off, and that's another wagon to the narrow gauge fleet.





In this end on shot you can see the door grab handles and locking bar.
I made these from  0.5mm wire and brass strip cut from etched parts frets.
I always keep bits of scrap brass and nickel silver from frets for these sort of jobs. It's surprising how often these scraps come in handy for little jobbies like this.

As usual Bachmann type tension lock couplings are fitted.


That's it for this post but I will try and post part 3 SOON!

Cheers!
Frank

2 comments: