Sunday 9 March 2014

Never thought I would do this!

Being a dyed in the wool steam man I never thought I would see the day when I would turn my attention to a DIESEL locomotive!
OK, so I have built a 7mm scale narrow gauge diesel but that was just a fun project over the winter of 2012/13 not for use on my current exhibition layout "Steam on the Cambrian"

Because of my love of steam I have even been called a "Heathen" by a well known blue diesel modeller who also models the Cambrian lines.
So, here I reveal my very first (and maybe only!) purchase of a 4mm scale diesel locomotive.


















For those who haven't guessed it's a Bachmann Class 24 in BR Green livery complete with all the faults and inaccuracies. Having spoken to some people who are more knowledgeable about these "Things" I now know that there are a few glaring mistakes with this model but as the saying goes "it's my layout and I'll run what I like"  OR as a certain model rail forum's moto goes "Rule 1 applies"!
Like my RTR steam stuff I never run anything that is straight out of the box, in this case I have fitted the accessories that come with the model to the buffer beams, removed the carbuncle tension lock couplings and added a driver in the one cab. The model was then given a bit of weathering, I like doing this bit and I also like the use of household emulsion paints and Carr's weathering powders. Maybe I like them too much because I tend to go over the top with them sometimes!
As it happens I found a picture in one of my Cambrian lines books of a green 24 at Towyn with the headcode discs as seen below on a train of gunpowder vans heading up the coast to Cooke's explosives at Penryn.



The only problem I have now is, IF i take it with the layout to exhibitions, would I have to change the layouts name to STEAM (& Diesel) on the CAMBRIAN ????

Ah well, that's something to think about for a couple of weeks before the next outing.







More jottings soon!
Cheers
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment